Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Frontal hair loss, used hair colors for years. Treatment to stop hair breakage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 2416 Questions
female 65 long hair colored over the years now it is breaking off in long
pieces about 9 " the crown/part area? What treatment is the
sure way to get health back into my long straight hair? I am using products
meant for this problem (leave in conditioners) but getting concerned I need
a professional to help me. Please advise. Thank you. What treatment is the BEST way to stop hair breakage?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.
The commonest cause of breaking of hair are:-
1-Excessive dryness of hairs due to heat styling,ironing or curling with heat,
2-Dryness due to lack of conditioning,
3-Pulling of your tangled hairs while combing can cause breakage,
4-Brittle hair occurs when the structural integrity of the hair is weakened by medical illness like anaemia,hypothyroid, nutritional deficiency like vitamin-D,zinc.
5-Breakage in the crown area can occur due to:-
a-styling techniques such as tight ponytails,
b-using elastics with metal piece,
c-using wrong type of hair accessories which can catch and break your hair off.
d-Hair color can also cause breakage.
As a home care you can do these things to prevent breakage:-
1-Daily conditioning with moisturizing treatments like you are using,
2-Usea comb with wide teeth so as to easily work through your hair,
3-Use ponytail holders with no metal parts or covered elastics,
4-Try different styles that don't pull your hairs too tight,
5-Hot oil treatment that is a application of warm oil (a mix of canola oil and olive oil in equal proportion) also helps.
Another important thing you need to do is consult a Dermatologist and get investigated for any underlying medical condition and get treated.
The best treatment for the breakage will be advised by the Dermatologist as per the underlying cause.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
Please accept this answer in case you have no further queries.
Take care.
Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor