Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

From the childhood have stammering problem. How to resolve?

Dec 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 4791 Questions
Hello doctor,

From the childhood have stammering problem, can you please suggest how is resolved
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Stammering is common in childhood but in some cases it can continue to manifest in adulthood. You are 24 year old male and are having stammering problem.

For proper management we should proceed step by step.

First of all any anatomical cause of stammering should be ruled out. Tongue tie is a common reason in stammering. Check if there is any fusion below your tongue. In most cases it comes normal.

Other reason is abnormal speech development. For proper management the help of a trained speech therapist should be taken. Fluency therapy help in correcting the stammering and improves the confidence.

One common reason seen is some form of anxiety disorder. Underlying anxiety and some psychological stress result in development of stammering in childhood. As a child start to stammer then with time he loses the confidence and this result in further increase in anxiety and ultimately more and more stammering.

Now coming to management.

- Consult a Speech Therapist for speech fluency shaping, fluency modification methods. These methods use speech mechanics to improve the condition.

- In most of adults the defect lie in some psychological stress. Psychotherapy start with self acceptance of problem then proceed to check attitude of individual towards his problem and followed by anxiety reduction.

- Anxiety reduction can be achieved by Relaxation Exercises like Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercises, Breathing Exercises, Yoga. These techniques result in improvement in confidence and decrease anxiety.
Medicines like Propranolol, low dose benzodiazepines help to improve condition in social condition. These will improve your confidence and will decrease the anxiety.

SSRIs help to correct any underlying stress and anxiety. You can consult a Psychiatrist for detailed prescription.

The problem of stammering lie in brain in most of individuals and it can be corrected if properly attended.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor