Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Frequent urination with headache at the occipital bone. What could be done for this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2584 Questions
Hello i'm a 37 yo male and have been having very frequent urination for about 6 weeks now, urine is clear no odor, thirst with craving of salty food. BP is good never any higher than 135/75 and runs 120/70 at rest. I have developed a bad headache on the right side starting at the occipital bone just above the insertion of the trapezius muscle radiating forward to about 1 inch above the right orbit. throbbing worse on exertion.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through the details submitted with diligence. I shall address your problems in 2 points.

1. It looks like you are suffering with hypertension and on antihypertensive pill. I would like to bring to your notice that Diovan HCT contains two pills and one among them is a diuretic (water pill). Though the dose of water pill you are on is considerably low, it can still cause increased urination and sodium depletion. This perhaps may be reason for frequent urination, increased thirst and salt craving.

That being said, we also need to look if you have diabetes / symptoms.

Your blood samples and urine can be tested for serum sodium, blood sugar and urine routine-microscopy with or without cultures to effectively rule out the aforementioned reasons.

2. The throbbing ache at the right side occipital bone pain is unlikely to related to your other symptoms. Livalo (pitavastatin) causing muscular aches, atyical tension / migraine headaches or occipital neuralgia may be responsible.
Since all these conditions cannot be proved by investigations, your doctors can try medical treatment which includes use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics, small dose of antidepressant and de-stressing measures and see if the pain reduces.

Though it doesn't sound something serious and concerning, a scan of the brain is also advised.

I hope you found some useful information which you can take forward with the help of your treating physicians. Let me know if I can assist you further with your doubts/concerns.

Best Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor