Frequent urination. Blood and urine test normal. What is causing this and cure?

Dr. Susanta Padhy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have this weird symptom that I experience occasionally, I think its because of anxiety but I am not sure. I am wondering if you can help me on this.
Sometimes I'll get these bouts of frequent urination where I have to desperately pee every 15 minutes or so. And it's not just the feeling of having to pee, it's an actual need to pee - like I will have a completely full bladder, go to the bathroom, and then literally 15 minutes later I need to desperately go again. During the day this cycle usually happens one or two times (I end up going about 3-4 times in an hour), and then everything returns to normal and I don't need to pee again for the usual amount of time. The other weird thing is when this happens, my pee is totally clear. I don't dehydrate myself but I certainly don't drink a lot of water, either (most people I know drink way more than me). When I'm peeing at more normal intervals (usually every 2 hours for me), my pee is never completely clear.
I've noticed this happens when I tend to be nervous or anxious about something, but that's not always the case. Sometimes it happens if I eat a lot of a certain watery foods like salads, juices and sometimes it seems to happen for no reason at all. Most of the time, though, it's totally random and it seems I can only chalk it up to anxiety. This has happened to me for 5-6 years.
I know frequent urination is a common symptom of anxiety, but does this frequent of urination happen even when you are not anxious about anything at all (this every 15 minutes cycle?). I fear going anywhere that there is no restroom. I have developed all sorts of annoying habits because of this, like anytime I go see a movie in a theater I have to sit in a aisle seat in case I need to get up and go to the loo. I also hate going on boats, long car rides, long office meetings, the bus, anywhere there's no easy access to a restroom. It is really hard to put yourself in situation where you know you will feel anxious and feel like you might wet your pants, it's just awful. Also, I've had blood and urine tests at the doc before, everything came back clear and no diabetes or bladder infections.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 46 minutes later
Hi

Thank you for a detailed query

Good that your doctor has excluded diabetes / bladder infections, etc., which are also common causes of increased frequency of urination

Anxiety can cause increased frequency of urination. And usually the other symptoms of anxiety like nervousness, dry mouth and throat, palpitation, sweating, tremor of hands, abdominal discomfort, feeling tired or feeling tightness in muscles, generalised body pain, etc. But it is not necessarily that all symptoms are present at one time and always they are present

The associated problems that you are describing is a point of concern and in fact perhaps indicates that it is most likely because of anxiety

Kindly tell me if you have any other associated psychological symptoms / any ongoing stress, any family history of psychological ailments / any history of substance abuse. Is it gradually progressive etc?

Hope this address your concern. I am available for further discussion

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Susanta Padhy 4 hours later
Firstly Thanks Doctor for the reply,

I experience some of the symptoms that you've mentioned which are nervousness, palpitation, abdominal discomfort, tiredness.

I always feel stressful thinking about my work,career etc. As far as family history of psychological ailments is considered, there is none.

It is never progressive, It kind of varies from one time to another. Lately,I have been going out for jog everyday in the morning, I feel less stressful than before and symptoms persist but they seem little less intense now.

One question by the way, Is anxiety curable? or at least, can the symptoms go away ?

Hope information provided here help you asses things better.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 hours later

The usual course of anxiety is fluctuating, that means sometimes symptoms can be up or down etc.

Anxiety is treatable and the symptoms can be abated.

Handling work and career related issues applying "problem solving strategy", regular lifestyle, daily brisk morning walk, healthy diet, meditation etc. should help you and one should try.

If not better from above, medications are there that are safe and effective.

It may be a good idea to arrange for a mobile counselling call to discuss your issues and this might help to better adapt problem solving strategy which is the mainstay of intervention, as of now.

You can write to YYYY@YYYY for assistance on this.

Hope I was of some help.

You are most welcome to discuss anytime.

Wish you a stress free life.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 hours later
Thanks a lot for your time doctor.

Interaction was helpful and how do I arrange for a mobile counseling? Do I just need to write to YYYY@YYYY ?

Thanks Again !

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 9 hours later
I appreciate your power of understanding the issue.

A customer support team member of XXXXXXX will contact you to explain the process.

If you do not have any follow-ups, please close this discussion.

Thank you and wish you a good health