Frequent urge to urinate but less urination along with burning sensation. Reason?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have frequent urge to urinate but produce only a very small amount of urine, accompanied by burning sensation. At the same time I get a burning sensation in my hands (!).
I am a 65 year old, sexually inactive male.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Urinary urgency, frequency and incomplete evacuation of the bladder are symptoms typically seen in prostate enlargement. Prostate enlargement is a condition seen in elderly males usually after the age of 50 years. It occurs due to low levels of Testosterone hormones in the blood which is the result of advancing age.

I suggest you to get a Pelvic ultrasound scan (in full bladder and post void) which will confirm the condition and stage the growth which helps in management.

You may have to consult a Urologist with the Ultrasound scan report to analyze and place you on appropriate treatment.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad