Frequent periods. What should I do?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I'm 22 years old and just moved to UK from India. My cycle was normal for the 1st two months. However last week I had my cycle for 4-5 days and exactly after a week I have started another cycle again. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perhaps a hormonal imbalance; can be treated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms. XXXXXXX

It is usual for menstrual cycle disturbances to happen whenever there is a shift of activity or a stressful situation in life. As per your symptoms, it appears as though you could be having a temporary hormonal imbalance leading to frequent periods.

I would suggest observation initially with a consultation if possible. Usually such incidents happen once or twice, but, if they persist, you need to get investigated. A complete hormonal profile, sonogram, blood counts and urinalysis should be performed and the exact cause elicited.

Use of progesterone can help to control the erratic bleeding and regularize the cycles. If needed, your doctor may put you on pills for a few months for cycle correction. Thyroid disorders, if present, should be corrected and so is anemia. Finally, adequate sleep, avoidance of stress go a long way to help correct the problem. Infections, if any, need to be treated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 minutes later
So What should I do now. Do I leave it for a month and observe or should I go visit a doctor. Does cold weather have anything to do with it?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observation if bleeding subsides.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

If the bleeding subsides soon and there is no further problem, you can wait and see. If the bleeding persists or the problem recurs, you will need treatment. External temperature has no effect on the state of ovulation. Therefore, cold weather cannot lead to frequent ovulation.

Hope your doubt is clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 minutes later
Could I have a second opinion from one more gynec on the same issue?Just to check for concurrence.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you may; post the question again.

Detailed Answer:

Of course, you can have a second opinion. Please post the question again for specialist.

Wish you good luck.

regards,
Shanti.V.