Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Frequent boils in inner right eyelid,legs in 7 year old.Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 22 Questions
my son is 7 years old.he often gets boils in inner right eyelid. sometimes in his leg also.what is the treatment.
Sun, 20 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Boil or furuncle is a skin infection involving the entire hair follicle and the surrounding tissues. Damage to the hair follicle allows bacteria to enter deeper into the tissues of the follicle and the tissue underneath spreading the infection and forming pus. Most commonly seen in face, neck, armpit, buttocks, and thighs.

Some children are plagued by recurrent furuncles because of follicular abnormalities, climatic conditions, colonization by pathogenic strains, reinfection, debility, or immunodeficiency. A personal hygiene and necessary measure to contain the staph infection in the areas of their colony is essential.

The treatment should be as follows:
1) A prolonged course of antibiotics (broad spectrum) prescribed by the Pediatrician
2) To drain at pus point.
3) Never squeeze a boil or try to cut it open at home. This can spread the infection and make it worse.

Meanwhile you can follow the following measures to prevent further boils:
1) Use of Antibacterial soaps is recommended
2) Use Antiseptic (germ-killing) washes like Betadine
3) Thorough washing and not sharing other children things
4) Apply body powder all over the body to avoid stagnation of sweat and to prevent infection.

I also would advice to get serum IgA levels to know the immune status.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for the Follow ups.

Wish your son a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor