Found tiny red dots on tongue and getting pain on the roof of mouth. Reason?

Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I have a number of tiny red dots on my tounge which at first did cause pain but now they are not tender. I also have a painful roof of my mouth the type of feeling you get when you burn it. Usually I don't wake up with this feeling but by the end of the day the roof of my mouth is irritable. Also I have a flesh pea sized like lump on the gum of my upper lip it has never caused pain but has been there for 7 weeks now. It has not changed in size or shape. ? I feel very run down also and tired. Also the inside of my lower gum Lowe lips feel lumpy.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

With the provided details and according to your medical history there are following possibilities.

1. Reccurent apthous ulcer because of coeliac disease.
2. Ulcers because of smoking.
3. Nutritional deficiency.
4. Poor oral hygiene.

If you can provide me the following relevant details, I will be in a better position to guide you.
1. What medication are you taking for your medical conditions?
2. Do you have dry mouth?
3. Do you use pipe for smoking?
4. Have you taken any medicine for the same oral problem yet?

Awaiting for your reply.

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Gunjan Gupta 11 hours later
Hi I am not on any medication. Mouth has been very dry but lately it doesn't seem too bad. I don't use a pipe for smoking. The only thing I've done so far to try and help is gargle salt water.. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 12 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

According to the given history, the most probable cause of this condition is recurrent apthous ulcer because of coeliac disease and dry mouth.

Following things will be helpful for you-
1. Take plenty of water and sugar free juices.
2. Chew sugar free chewing gums.
3. Sucking of a cherry/olive pit/lime.
4. Maintain good oral hygiene.
5. XXXXXXX warm saline gargles.
6. Can use mucopain/dologel on the ulcers.
7. Add citrus fruits, bananas, mango, blackberry, peaches, strawberry etc. in your diet.
8. Can take vitamin-b supplements.etc..........

The lump like growth in your oral cavity could be a result of recurrent inflammation due to recurrent ulceration in your oral cavity.

Hope this answered your query. If you have further any doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta