Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Found sore lump on chin. On zithramax. Diagnosed with MRSA. Proper treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
I had a sinus thing for 2 months last monday it moved to my chest and I got this sore lump on my chin. By Wednesday it had opened a round circle that weeped clear fluid. I went to the Dr and they put me on zithramax by Friday the lump had my chin swollen to almost the size of my fist and I had a hard lump under my chin just next to the inside of my jawbone and 2 swollen lumps inside my mouth where the lip meets the gums. The Dr then said I had Mrsa and added bactrim ds to the zithramax. I do not have teeth, I am 48 years old, female. I am in so much pain I cant stand it. anything I can do until I can call the dr tomorrow? I have taken Ibupropin and have been soaking it in salt water. I also tried tonight ambisol and broke down and took hydrocodone left from gallbladder surgery a couple months ago.
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in
I have read your query with diligence. Your doctor has diagnosed MRSA, I want to know have you under gone pus/fluid culture examination? If yes than please scan the report and attach with this query.
The best and effective antibiotic can be selected from the list given in culture report to get control on the growth of the infection or micro-organism. Once the infection is controlled you will automatically get relief from pain.

If culture examination is not done than ask your doctor for that and accordingly antibiotic drugs or doses can be changed to get quick relief. Surgery like drainage of the infection may be needed to get immediate relief from pain but this should be done by qualified doctor.

There are very less measures to reduce pain in such type of infections till you get control over the infection. Continue analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen (which is available over the counter). Can take tranquilizer but you have to consult your doctor for prescription. If pain and swelling is worsen that go to the ER and get yourself clinically check to decide about the further treatment.

Other measures to reduce pain are do regular aseptic dressing of the wound and cover it with dressing. Drain all the fluid which is coming out from it. Take liquid diet and wash the mount properly after every meal.

Hope this will help you. Write back for any doubt.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor