Found small and hard lump under arm. Could it be cyst or ingrown hair?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Small, hard, feels irregular in shape, lump under right arm. Have had the lump for over a year, have not observed any growth but is not going away so I am not thinking it is a bacterial or viral infection. Could it just be a cyst or ingrown hair? Very hard and have tried squeezing it, as if ingrown hair and feels hard and a little painful to squeeze. Odd on timing as was around time I started having kidney stones and later diagnosed with renal tubular acidosis
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later

You have noticed a hard lump under right arm since 1 year. As this lump is not increasing in size, it is most likely a benign tumor from soft tissue may be Neurofibroma, Lipoma, Fibroma or a enlarged lymph node. Following information will help me to diagnose your problem.

Do you have fever especially in the evening?
Are you diabetic?
Do you smoke?
Do you have cough since a long time?

It is necessary to have detail clinical examination to conclude the nature of the Tumor So please consult a surgeon for clinical examination and proper evaluation.

Get following investigations done

1) Haemogram with E.S.R.

2) X-ray chest.
3 Routine Urine test
4) Blood Sugar Levels (Fasting and 2hrs after Lunch).

You may need to undergo minor surgery of Excision Biopsy to confirm the tissue diagnosis. If you have any more queries feel free to write I shall be happy to address your query.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 11 hours later
I have not diabetic (was checked very recently during the investigation into my kidney stones), I do not smoke and I don't have a persistent cough (cant remember last time I coughed but its not recent). I don't have a fever now, although I did occasionally have bladder infections, associated with the kidney stones, maybe 6-8 months ago. Do not believe I am experiencing fevers but then again I have not been monitoring my body temp and even when I had the bladder infections my temperature never really got much above 100.I had some blood tests done recently but other than slightly acidic blood, was normal in blood sugars and nothing stood out as a concern or potentially driving any current medical issues. I do experience fatigue occasionally but other than that I can't think of anything else. Thank you for your advise. I will check up with a doctor. Since I have noticed it for a while and its not changing its probably better to get it answered. Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for the feedback
You do not have any major issue with your health. Please get the tests done which I have suggested earlier and revert back once you get the reports. However a clinical examination by a Surgeon is must to confirm the diagnosis. Please feel free to ask any more questions.
Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli