Found raised red blood cells in urine and suggested for kidney ultrasound. Concerned

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My husband just went for his annual checkup and next to his red blood line test was a score of 3 which is flagged as high when the normal range is 0-2 HPF. What does this mean? His GP has suggested a kidney ultrasound. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
The test means that the red blood cells in urine are more than the usual allowed limit.
The most common causes of blood in the urine are infection, stone or tumour in the urinary tract.
He need to undergo urine analysis; urine culture and ultrasound scan of the abdomen to look for the above.
Based on the results, treatment needs to be planned.
Simply, blood in the urine is not a disease itself - but a symptom of a disease - which needs to be identified.
Hope this helps, Kindly get back for doubts if any.
DR GS