Found pus filled bump on back. Could it be basal cell carcinoma?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I definitely need an opinion. I had a bump on my back I felt on Monday night. My mom said it was a pimple so she popped it and it had clear fluid coming out of it. It got very red and inflammed and now is red and oozy around the boarders and raised in the middle. It does not look good at all, and I'm worried its basal cell carcinoma and not a pimple. I left a bandaid on it and it ooze yellow fluid on the bandaid as well
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the image attached. A clearer and closer picture would have been more helpful. It seems to be a blocked and infected hair follicle - folliculitis. However, a direct examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
It is likely to improve over a few days with proper antibiotics which you can get prescribed from your dermatologist.
It does not seem to be anything related to a malignancy like good health.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.. I have attached another picture for you to see
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Thanks for the better images. It seems to be a superficial infection only which is likely to subside in next 5-7 days. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
I am afraid that there was a raised freckle where I thought a pimple was and I accidentally picked the mole thinking it was a pimple. It is possible for a freckle to bleed and puss out clear fluid and then become infected like in my photos? I am almost positive I had a raised freckle in the area of the wound
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The mole if picked can cause bleeding and the area can become infected if left exposed to air. This seems to be a minor skin infection only.
Regards.