Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Found movable lump on collarbone and having pain under armpit. Concerned

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Just today I found a lump on my collarbone, clavicle, whatever you call it. The lump is movable but does not hurt. About two months ago i noticed theleft side of my neck looked fatter than the right, but its not so anymore. I have also had pain under my right armpit for about 6 months now. I have had two ganglion cysts removed from my left foot in the last 4 years via surgery. I have ovarian cysts and Tarlov Cysts in my sacral area of my spine. I am wondering if I need to call my doctor on Monday, or just wait till my scheduled appt on December 10th for assessment. Can a person get a Ganglion cyst or something similar in the collarbone area? I am prediabetic and have high blood pressure that is well controlled on both. I am female age 50, overweight with moderate canal stenosis and a bulging disk, and many more. I would have to type it all out for you, but will if you need, but lets just say, constant unbearable pain. Anyway, I am more concerned about the new lump I found.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

This could be a swollen lymph node, cyst or a tumor. A swollen lymph node could arise most commonly from some infection.

A person can get ganglion or synovial cyst in collar bone area(over acromio-clavicular or sterno-clavicular joint area).

To know the exact cause, examination of lump is required. We would also need to run some tests like a complete blood count, and Fine needle aspiration cytology(FNAC) may be required. It is only then that we would know the exact cause of the swelling.

If the lump is small, painless, movable you can wait and watch. If it become painful, tender to touch and increases in size call doctor immediately and consult your doctor.

Arm pit pain for 6 months needs an evaluation again by General surgeon preferably. You can take over the counter pain pill to ward off for time.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Please accept the answer if you have no further query.

Wishing you good health....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Found movable lump on collarbone and having pain under armpit. Concerned 21 hours later
Thank you for your answers. The lump feels jelly like and is movable. There is no pain, but feels gross to me. :) Since I seem to have a history of the ganglion, I will wait to see my doctor at my December 10th appointment. If it does become hard, swollen more or painful, I will make an immediate phone call. Just being human makes me worry, but I feel better with your answers. I will save the last followup (Since it states I am allowed two) to let you know the outcome of my doctors examination and findings in December. Again, thank you for taking time to help reassure someone, even though I understand that without actually seeing me, you can not make a diagnosis, but rather make suggestions and give general advice.

Sincerely XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

I am glad to know I could address your concerns.
Do write back in December. At this stage, you dont need to worry. I am sure you'll be well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor