question-icon

Found lump on the base of head. Tender and sore to touch. What could be the causing the lump?

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2012
Question: I recently 2 days ago to be exact found 2 lumps on the base of my head, they hurt like I hit it but I didn't. THey are tender and sore to touch, but they hurt without touching them too. It feels like it's pulling from my neck? I had my hairdresser look today and she said there are no marks or redness back there. So I am guessing nothing bit me.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar (2 hours later)
Hi
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
After having gone through your details above, I should first reassure you that these are not signs of any serious illness. Also, as your hairdresser has confirmed that there are no marks or redness at present, there is no need to worry.
Sometimes, there could be minor inflammation in an area leading to pain and a feel of swelling. It settles down in a few days.
So, at present, there is no need to see any doctor. However, if the swelling is seen, or pain re-occurs, you may see your GP.
Please feel free to ask me, if you have any follow-up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist