Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Found lump in the buttocks region. Could it be cyst or lipoma?

Answered by
Dr. Stephen Christensen

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1986

Answered : 212 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello, I discovered a small solid lump under the skin of my right buttocks about a month and a half ago. At first I didn't think anything of it but recently I've been feeling a dull ache in that general area of my right buttocks - very subtle but still noticeable. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor but it's not for another week.I do have problems with health anxiety so I've been worrying about it quite a bit lately. I've read about cysts and lipomas, but it's really the dull ache that started to worry me.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 5 hours later
Hello. I can understand your concern. It's always a little disconcerting to find a lump on your body somewhere. Fortunately, the majority of such lumps in the buttocks are benign (lipomas, epidermoid cysts, sebaceous cysts, etc.). Oftentimes the discomfort associated with these lesions is simply due to sitting on them, which puts pressure on adjacent tissues.
That said, there are a few problems that can present as lumps in the buttocks that are more serious (e.g., peri-rectal abscesses). However, these conditions are typically associated with other symptoms, such as night sweats, pain with bowel movements, fever, chills or weight loss.
Obviously, it isn't possible to diagnose your problem without an examination. Statistically, your lump is most likely a benign problem that can be easily addressed. Lipomas and subcutaneous cysts can usually be removed in a physician's office under local anesthetic. For the time being, you might try getting a doughnut pillow and placing it on your chair so the lump is in the hole of the doughnut. This will relieve the pressure on surrounding structures. If your pain becomes severe or if you develop other symptoms, call your doctor to see if he/she can see you sooner, or go to the nearest ER or urgent care center. If things remain stable, it's okay to wait until your appointment.
I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Stephen Christensen 2 days later
Thank you so much, this was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 1 hour later
You're most welcome. I hope things go well at your appointment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Sebacaous cyst

doctor1 MD

Hi.. I have a sebasceous cyst on my forehead that I am most likely going to remove. It is not (at this time) inflamed.. Its just a 'bump' with no redness at all. My primary physician gave me a script to see a plastic surgeon (considering its on my face), however, Im wondering if I should see a dermatologist first. My concern is, that although a plastic surgeon is good at 'surgery'...are they competent to treat a 'cyst' on a face...Any thoughts??

doctor1 MD

I have a huge (almost tangerine size) sebacious cyst under my belly (I am obese). It has been draining a thick bloody pus discharge. I also have three very large ones under my left armpit. How can I get rid of them forever? My doc said that it would take a years worth of antibiotics, even though he has never looked at thime.

doctor1 MD

I had a sebacious cyst removed on the back of my neck. Four days before that I started on a week course of Flucloxacillin sodium 500 gram (3 per day). Right after the end of the course I came down with a cold (flu?) very sudden. It's unusual for me to come down so suddenly. Could it be a side-effect of the course. Lowered white blood cell count? Appreciate your time to answer. Graeme Foster. -I'm 67, 1.8 metres, slim (not sure of my weight). Had hyperthyroidism six years ago. Have I.B.S. Some arthritis.

doctor1 MD

I am looking for a doctor in the Philadelphia are that can do one of the following 2 techniques to remove a Sebaceous Cyst on the thigh and the back. 1. Removal of the Cyst Content with a Laser Punch and the Cyst Wall with a Minimal Postponed Excision 2. Electrolysis method. Can you recommend anyone?

doctor1 MD

sir iam having nuerosyphilis since my youth period because of excess masterbution i am now 39yrs old whether it is curable or not my id is XXXX i am getting problem is that dizzines body stifness not willing to work white patches on the shoulder...

doctor1 MD

I have a large bump in the center of my chest under the skin. It is hard not soft.

doctor1 MD

My husband has a couple small hard balls like BB's in his scrotum but we don't know what they are....they don't hurt him and they move around....hope you can tell us what they are