Found hernia after 4 months after a accident. On trauma. How can i get rid off this trauma?

Dr. Aparna Kohli

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Mental Health
Question: hi two years ago I was in a 70 mph crash into a stopped car about to make illegal u turn on freeway. I got whiplash, Hiatal hernia just ate 2 minutes before impact. Broke big bone in right foot. fracture left wrist,abdomen and chest contusion. I had strange sensation in both feet and both hands. Could not eat but a small amount of food and vomited. Diarrhea and Acid reflux extremely bad and doctor prescribed prilosec. weeks later it seemed that both hands and feet gradually got tingling numb like pain. then two months later I was slumped over with pain in mid back directly behind hiatal hernia found 4 months after accident. I had diverticulosis but not diverticlitis at time of accident. Acid reflux got worse and I was loosing weight unvoluntarily. They told me to take more prilosec. but my stomach pain got worse. then I had to have both a colonsectomy and a hiatal hernia surgery. Got colonsectomy by camera laproscopic. 8 days later the acid reflux worse and diarrhea got really bad. My colon ruptured and had two hard surgeries in 5 days. Blood transfusion and in intensive care for about 10 days. They hung a colonosopy bag on stoma. I still had diarrhea to extreme to blow apart and off stoma.4 months later 4th surgery then 142 lbs fixed both. I was 195 at time of accident. I went to a chiropractor and after 30 days of muscle stretches I regained 30 lbs. The spot of the stoma had to be repaired for the 5th major surgery in less tha a year. After 18 months and repeated request I got to a neurologist. who had my blood checked for B12 It was low. After 8 months of b12 shots I still have low folate and vit. D. I had to look on web to find out I had Anemia probably 18 months before treatment. My Question is Did the accident cause the neuropathy pernisios anemia, and did it bring on the need for surgery and diverticulitis sooner than it would of?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your concern with us. I am sorry you have been in this situation.
Trauma is known to cause neuropathies and its possible that your accident could have just precipitated matters. But there is no doubt that the vitamin B12 deficiency could have not only caused the neuropathy but also made recovery difficult.
Secondly, as far as the diverticulitis and the pernicious anemia is concerned, both of them have nothing to do with the accident. Diverticulitits is a condition where the diverticula (which are commonly formed in the intestines when there is not enough fibre in the diet) get inflamed. Trauma in no way could have precipitated this.
As far as pernicious anemia is concerned, it is an autoimmune disorder where the cells of your body start producing antibodies against the acid secreting cells of your stomach. Trauma is not a known trigger for autoimmune reactions.
Hope that clarifies. Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Kohli 34 hours later
Dr please listen
My diverticula were not inflamed for years before the accident. Diet kept it from bothering me. Metamucil stopped any problems until the accident started acid reflux from the new sudden hiatal hernia. Then no amount of metamucil or diet would stop diarrhea and throwing up everytime I ate. The pain was in my upper stomach mid back. The diverticulis was not the problem as after the surgery my condition only worsened. I went into surgery for a pain that was not treated as my Doctors thought I just needed the colonsectomy. My condition got worse with extreme gastric pressure surely my instric factor was shut down causing low b12. Not saying my colon was damaged in the accident. Just that the accident caused the need for surgery either by anemia neuropathy or as I have said for two years that the hiatal hernia did.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow up.

As said before, your conditions would have precipitated due to the accident. But, neither pernicious anemia nor diverticulitis is known to be caused by accident. In fact, both the conditions could have been in gradual development before the accident itself. It is possible that the stressful condition suffered by your body after the accident would have worsened the situation.

Hope I had been able to clarify your doubt. Let me know if I can alleviate your concerns further.