Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Found hard lump on vaginal wall. Could this be a serious problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12668 Questions
Hello doctor I am 49 yrs old I have a lump on the inside of the right vagina lip it some times feels hard and sometimes soft, it doesn't hurt at all I am just worried it could be something serious. It's skin colour as well I have had it for a few months but no cahnge has occurred. There is no head but when I had my daughter 19 yrs ago I had a lot of stitches to the vagina.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The most likely diagnosis which comes to my mind after going through your history is that it is a Bartholin's cyst or a Bartholin's abcess. This is a swelling arising from a small gland in your labia majora due to infection or blockage of it's duct. However nothing can be said for sure until & unless you see a Gynecologist in person & get yourself evaluated. Diagnosis is usually clinical but your doctor may like to take some "swab tests" to rule out the possibility of an STD.
Treatment includes a small surgical procedure to open up & drain the contents of the swelling, which is usually done as a "Day case procedure".
However if you have other lumps along with this " bigger one" then other possibilities like STDs or God forbid cancer must be ruled out.
Again a doctors visit is crucial to find out the exact diagnosis.
I have given you a brief guideline please write back if you have any questions.
Wish you good health & a nice day.
Best regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor