Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Found fluid filled small lump on vaginal wall. What am I suffering from?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
I have found a small, pea sized lump on the anterior wall of my vagina towards the left side and about 2-3" up. The bump feels hard, possibly fluid filled? .. there is no pain associated with it, and no other symptoms.

I am rather frightened as to what it could be, and am VERY uncomfortable seeing my GP for any issues related to that area. Even the thought of going to see him for that has caused me to have anxiety attacks. I called the doctor at the clinic. Do I have any other option available to me? Can I simple call the office and request a referral to a gyno for an exam?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 55 minutes later
Thanks for the query.

According to your description the possibilities are:
Bartholin cyst: bartholin gland lies near the vaginal opening. Its function is lubrication.
When the duct of the gland gets blocked it forms cyst.

Gartner's cyst: gartner's duct is remnant of wolffian duct. It can form cyst which appears near the vaginal opening.

These cysts can cause complications like getting infected and forming abscess etc.
So you better directly request for gynecologist consultation and get examined to find out the actual nature of the lesion and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Found fluid filled small lump on vaginal wall. What am I suffering from? 10 minutes later
Thank you. The bump is not near the vaginal opening... it is deeper, about 3" in and to the left side of the cervix on the front wall (stomach side) of my vagina.

I am in Ontario Canada. Do you know if i am able to simply call my GP's office to request a referral to a gyno, with out an exam being completed by my GP? Or do I have better odds of receiving a referral if I go to a walk in clinic and explain my anxiety about my GP?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later

If the cyst is deeper in the vagina the possibilities are,
Gartner's cyst, as the gartner's duct will extend along the wall of the vagina.
Inclusion cyst, this can occur due to any local injury.

You once explain your complaint to your GP, by that he can know that the problem belongs to gynecology and he will refer you to gynecology clinic.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor