Found entrococci in semen. On levofloxain 500. Having mild burning sensation. Any advice?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: I was tested to have entrococci in semen , the doctor gave levofloxain 500 for 6 weeks. Now, I have been taking it for more than 24days but with no improvement . I still have a mild burning sensation . What is your opinion and advice.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 56 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I shall like to know what exactly your symptoms are. Do you feel burning only after ejaculation or even while urinating?

I shall also be keen to see your culture report. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that, so that I can answer your queries better.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
My symptoms are feeling burning after some time of ejaculation and continues so but gradually become mild but in few days, especially after the doctor gave me omnic ocas 0.4 besides levofloxacin 500 mg once a day . I do not really the result of culture is uploaded or not. Any way the result was as follows : pus 18-20/HPF RBC 1-2 /HPF
Growth of entrococcus . Sensitive to Vancomycin , Gentamicin 200, Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin . This culture was for semen . I have no other symptoms. Only burning feeling most of the time. My urine culture was negative. PSA was normal. CT scan and ultra sound was also normal.
Now I am levofloxacin 500 for 24 days with no improvement at all. Awaiting your advice.
Please note that when I am urinating , there is no burning but mild burning later afterwards. Sometime I have some sort of pain on top of penis .
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later
Dear sir,

You should see your urologist again and consider adding injection amikacin or gentamicin for 5 days in addition to levofloxacin.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later
Could you explain to me situation , and why levofloxacin is not working that well . And how long will it take to get better ? What your exact Rx.? How long I should continue with levofloxain ?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 52 minutes later
Dear,

You certainly have infection in the semen and the infections of semen are very difficult to eradiacte. The penetration of drugs is very minimal; hence, levofloxacin is not working very well.

You should add inj amikacin to levofloxacin; it shall improve the penetration of drug and better the response. It may take upto 6 weeks for you to see response.

Hope this answers your query.

All the best.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 52 minutes later
Is it possible to take any other medication apart off injections that would help besides levofloxacin . I am not that much keen to take injections. I prefer oral or tablets.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 minutes later
Dear,

Unfortunately the current situation warrants use of injectable drugs. You will have to take the injections, there is no substitute here. Discuss with your current treating doctor/urologist and take the injections.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel