Found dents in skull. Is this a sign of an illness?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I found dents in my skull a few months ago. They don't seem to cause any problems. What causes them?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Dents like impression on skull is a normal congenital finding in many people. If you don't have any trauma to head then no need to worry about that. There is no specific cause for it.
It is incidentally noticed many times. It is harmless. Your history of stroke is not at all related to the present condition. So you can ignore it completely.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later
This is not a congenital finding - this is something that I just recently observed. These are dents that have not been there before. Thank you.
Hi, welcome back.
You are correct regarding recent observations. It is incidentally observed though they are present since birth. Still if you are sure regarding its absence before your observation then it needs evaluation.
In that case you need to consult board certified surgeon and CAT scan of skull is necessary to see the exact condition of skull bone.

If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.