Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

173 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Found bumps on penis. Should I be worried for STD?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 15761 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: Hello, I am trying to identify these bumps on my penis, I'm not really sure what it is. But I am worried that it is an STD. I have the images. They do not itch nor burn.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

The most common stds are herpes, trichomonas, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and HIV.
Herpes would present with initial redness and discomfort in the area which would be followed by painful lesions that look like small water bumps. These water bumps would then burst to form small painful ulcers. In the absence of any pain, the lesions are unlikely to be herpetic.

Chlamydia and gonorrhoea are normally associated together though some persons may have them separately. They would be associated with burning on urination, a discharge, pain and swelling of the scrotum. About 50 % of men who have been found to have chlamydia , do not have any symptoms. These conditions do not typically present with the rash that you have.

Trichomoniasis can be associated with no symptoms or with problems such as discharge, burning on urination and pain.
Syphilis is also not associated with this presentation.
HIV does not normally present with signs in the genital tract and is normally found when a doctor is assessing for a poor immune system or unexplained repeated infections.

The rash is unlikely to be due to any of the above STD. Rashes can sometimes result for a reaction to any ointment, soap, cream or detergent used for your clothes. In some cases it may be related to a fungal infection.
You can consider monitoring it for a few days to determine if it will go on its own.If it does not or worsens, then you need to think about any changes you may have made in any of the above that could cause the rash.
You may also want to consider purchasing a mild over the counter mild topical steroid and apply it to the area for no more than 5 to 7 days.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Could it be hpv, genital warts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 hours later
Hi, no genital warts do not appear like that. They would appear like flesh like lesions that may be attached by stalk though some persons may have a variation of this.

It is understandable to be concerned, if it would ease your mind, you can visit your doctor for STD screening.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
I added another photo.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 hours later
Hi, sorry about the delay in answering

It does not have the typical appearance of any STD. Warts would normally have a little stalk attaching it to the base, but as stated earlier , in rare cases there are variations.
It is unlikely to be any of the others because they are associated with other symptoms.

I know some persons do not like to do STD testing but it is always best to know your status for these conditions.

Again, you can consider the use of a mild topical cream if you do not want to do any testing at this time.

Feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Genital wart

doctor1 MD

I have been seeing a girl 9 months....early on, I would develop a moist, foul smelling rash where I did t remove all of her Vaginal secretions weren't immediately I have a one inch line of raised, tough skin where the rash usually occurred.....freaking myself out reading about genital warts

doctor1 MD

hi, im 22 years old male, 5'6'', 165 lbs. My medical history is good. i dont have any health problems. im not allergic to anything i know of. i do smoke about 10 ciggerettes a day. i recently found a small cluster smaller than a dime in diameter of coliflower like bumps on my genitals just under my shaft on the sac connecting to the shaft of my penis. my concern is that i have genital warts or a type of hpv. is this a serious problem i have at hand? will these bumps go away? is there a medication to prevent bumps like this in the future? my partner has no idea of my situation and im afraid of rejection by her. is this a normal feeling if i do have a serious issue? how will this affect my sex life? please help im very concerned and thank you.

doctor1 MD

I have a question about genital warts. my fiancé found out he has genital warts and we have not done anything due to the fact I have been scared of it but we have been sexual before we knew what it was. I have not shown any signs but on my pant line in the front I have noticed a big purple looking bump to me it looks more like the color of a bruise. my question is could it be a genital wart being up that high?

doctor1 MD

hi i have genital warts and i just got this cream called imiquimod 5% cream. Well i put it on some warts on the back of my penis and it rubbed against my balls. Well now my balls feel all irritated. Its really red and looks like its oozy. What should i do?

doctor1 MD

I found out couple of dark marks on my penis shaft and light colour on my penis head. I'm stressed out whether it is penile cancer or not. Please do help me

doctor1 MD

I had a tiny birth mark on the side of my penis that doubled in size in last 3 months and got higher--no pain. The dermatologist said it was a genital wart and told me I needed cryotherapy . (Or biopsy, which I rejected.) But I have not had sexual...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor It is a second opinion .i have taken already opinion from Dr kakkar.Pls see the photographs attached and confirm whether these are venereal warts or common warts or something else? 2 weeks before I had severe red peeled skin rash on...