Found brown string in poop. What could be the cause?

Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib

Posted on Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i found a brown thin string like thing in my poop i washed it off it was whiteish color, do certain foods cause this?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi
thanks for the query

The string like thing you found in poop, are you sure about it was not some sort of worm and it was a string?

Will be waiting for your reply

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 minutes later
how would i be sure it was a worm? it was not moving.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 5 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the query

You can identify the worm from its structure and body and it will be moving only if its alive. The parasites are common in intestine that often passes in stool when are dead. when alive they stick to intestinal mucosa and invade intestinal wall at different locations.

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 19 minutes later
it looked about half an inch of thin coconut, it was flat could worms be really flat? also you have not answered my question of are there any foods that can cause this?
Hi
Thanks for the reply

worms are usually round and flat and can be of any sizes. that is why they are also called round worms and flat worms. The food you intake is first chewed in mouth by teeth and then digested in stomach to almost semi fluid state. so there is no possibility of food causing it the food do not unite back to make something else. however if something lke strings or threads ingested in food may pass in stool as it was because they are not digested by the stomach. The gut digests only carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 11 minutes later
so then i do have worms? what are other ways i could know i have worms.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 12 minutes later
HI

There is a test known as stool for ova. 3 samples are collected for the test. each from different bowel movements however the treatment is more simple that investigations. 2 tablets of albandazole 200mg each is a single dose treatment for elimination of almost all sorts of worms.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 6 minutes later
i asked my doctor for a stool test and the nurses gave me only 2 containers and both from the same bowel movement... will this not be accurate?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 minutes later
Hi

Actually when 3 samples are collected then it is most likely for ova to pass in the stools as in less cycles it may be missed and hence the result will be affected. Therefore it is recommended to collect 3 samples from 3 different bowel movement.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 27 minutes later
it seems like the worms i would have are threadworms what are all of the symptoms
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 15 minutes later
HI

Well there is a broad classification of these worms. each having different symptoms and signs. however the common symptoms are abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weight loss due to malnutrition, painful micturation, generalized weakness and bodyaches, fever. swelling of facial feature especially in morning, alternating constipation and diarrhea, jaundice etc. different patients have different presentation.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 27 hours later
i provided some pictures of another i found in my stool. it is tiny barely able to be seen and dry.
do dead worms come out of stool dry? it was dry and when pulled apart in half it made a snapping noise.
is this threadworm?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

Yeah it is thread worm and any thing when dead becomes dry. you had that for second time and i think you can understand you are having worm infestation. Food cannot cause such things repeatedly. its a large adult worm.

Thanks
regards
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 minutes later
How many worms can be inside an average person in an infestation
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 minutes later
They can be multiple. more than u can imagine. once you had worm infestation. they lays egg and mostly are present are eggs and larva which develop with time and grows and when dead appear in stool like this. sometimes they are passed alive in stool. you may be excreting eggs and larvae in your stools too.

Thanks