Found blood in stool. Is it due to piles or dryness?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,

I often face the problem of bllod in the stool. I am not sure if this is because of the piles or is it due the the dryness.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I would like to know some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. Are you constipated?
2. Is your bowel movement painful?
3. Any mass descending during defecation?
4. Any mucus in stool?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
Hello Dr. Kini,
Please see the answers inline:

1. Are you constipated?
ans: No. it is normal.
2. Is your bowel movement painful?
ans: yes sometimes it is painful. I often use the ointment named "OSIL".
ans: No
4. Any mucus in stool?
ans: No
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for providing additional information.

Some of the blood in stools are hemorrhoids (piles), fissures, Inflammatory bowel disease and infectious colitis.

I would suggest that a colonoscopy test be done for evaluation.

Based on the information you have provided, fissure is more likely.

Eat high fiber diet, drink lot of fluids and continue applying Osil.
Use sitz bath ( sitting in warm water with the rear soaked in it for 5-10 minutes) 2-3 times a day.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini