Found after conception that husband was using anabolic steroids. Could this cause birth defect?

Posted on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I found out after conception that my husband was using anabolic steroids (testosterone). At 13 wks baby looks healthy. Could this cause any birth defects?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later

There is very little data available on the effect of drugs and medications on the baby / fetus when the father consumes them. However, in general, the effect is minimum or none at all.

Most drugs, anabolic steroids included, have an XXXXXXX all or none XXXXXXX effect, that is they would have caused defective sperm , which would not have impregnated the ovum.

Anabolic steroid use is associated with diminished sperm count and defective sperm, however once conception occurs, there is NO EFFECT on the fetus, if the father had consumed anabolic steroids.
The ill effects occur if the mother consumes them during the pregnancy or around the period of conception.

Please do not worry about the effect of testosterone taken by your husband on your current pregnancy.

Enjoy your pregnancy and impending motherhood !

All the best.
Please feel free to discuss futher.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN