Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Found a small hypodense area in the lower pole of kidney. Any ideas?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
Hi, my 15 yr old daughter had a CT w/contrast of her abs. They accidently found a small hypodense area in the lower pole of her right kidney. Doesn't correspond with a cyst. Thought maybe she had a kidney infection & the radiologist asked to please corralate clinically. Kidney infection was ruled out. Labs are normal. Could this possibly be a shadow of nothing? She is to be scheduled for a MRI but the wait is overwhelming. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

At her age I won't be much concerned.Such incidental hypodense areas which are not enhancing on contrast are unlikely to be something very serious.

The major concern , though less likely at her age is cancer.But that would have enhanced on contrast.

I won't expect much additional information from MRI.But you can get it done.

I think you can repeat a MRI or sonography after three months to see how this lesion shows interval changes.If its stable then get it done once again after next three month.And if it is stable then no need to worry.I am not suggesting CT scan though ideal, because of radiation.

At any point if the lesion shows increase in size significantly then biopsy has to be done.

But as I mentioned earlier I don't expect it to be anything extremely serious.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor