Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Found a lump near the opening of vagina. Anything serious?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hello there, today i found a small lump near the opening of my vagina and i am very concerned of what it may be. I have booked an appointmwnt to see my doctor but as i am going away i cannot see her for a week. Its not sore its just a small hard bump near the opening and is the same colour of the skin. I have been with my partner for 6 years and have not been with anyone else.sexually and neither has he we do not use protection as im on birth control. Could this be anything serious?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: IT IS MOSTLY A BARTHOLIN CYST. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. According to your given information, I can assume that small painless lump near the opening of vagina is mostly suggestive of BARTHOLIN CYST which is located on posterior half of labium majus and usually one sided. It occurs due to blocking of bartholin duct by local inflammation or vaginal infection. Here, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist for proper pelvic examination to make a concrete diagnosis. TREATMENT: Small cyst usually does not require any course of treatment and it is better to leave alone. Genital hygiene maintenance is the key in such case. However, medium to large one needs small surgical incision and drainage of the collecting fluid which is called Marsupialisation. It is the procedure of choice and it can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is helpful to prevent abscess formation and future recurrence. In addition, you must prefer protected sexual intercourse, take adequate rest and daily sitz bath to reduce local discomfort. Oral antibiotic and analgesics can be given if there is pus collection. Kindly, visit to your doctor. Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor