Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Found a little pea size bump on neck. On levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. What is causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
Hi, thank you for reading my question. I found a little pea size bump on the right front side of my neck right below my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism last year and have been taking levothyroxine daily ever since. I had blood work run 5 months ago and everything was clear, except vitamin D, so now I'm taking extra vitamin D daily. I noticed this bump about a month and a half ago, I noticed it while putting on make-up. Nobody else says they can see it and when I got to feel it, it seems to go away or move, but I can tell it's there. Further down seems to be a little swollen fatty tissue, and a NP told me it didn't feel like anything and should go away. I have been battling allergy symptoms for a while now and just started an allegra pill two days ago. Also, after having my 2nd child I had extreme anxiety, so about 7 weeks ago, I started zoloft and take 200 mg daily. Everyone of my family member's says I'm fine and they don't see or feel anything. I'm just a very overly anxious person. I do need to note that I am very overweight. I'm 5' 2" and weight 225 pds. Thanks again, and please let me know if any other info. is needed.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The small pea sized swelling that you can feel is likely to be due to a swollen lymph node. Most of the times the swelling of less than 2 cm size is reactive swelling due to minor infections or allergies. These do subside spontaneously after the allergic symptoms subside.
In case there is pain, fever, increase in the size of the node, tenderness, etc in the area then it needs to be examined by a physician and investigations like FNAC are required for the proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor