Foul smelling pus discharge coming from belly button. Could it be urachal cyst?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello I am 23 years old, throughout my life I have woken up numerous times with a very pungent smelling discharge of a lot of puss, blood and hair coming out of my belly button. i have read a little about urachal cyst and think that this is possibly what it could be, if so is this something serious? I am in oregon for work right now and really do not have time to deal with this unless I hear from a doctor that this could be something serious that I need to check out asap. My life is more important to me than a job or money. please help. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This sound like urachal cyst indeed. This strange smell comes from urine. As this connects belly button and urinary bladder, it leads to urinary bladder infections. Such infections can be spread to the kidney causing kidneys infection. Every kidney infection brings risk of getting severe and can cause kidneys failure. So from tiny belly button discharge can develop life threatening kidneys infection. That is why it is advisable to have urachus diagnosed (with ultrasound) and removed with surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Thanks Doc! once I have taken an ultrasound, do I need to seek a specific type of specialist? and would your advice be to have the ultrasound ASAP?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Hello!

You can get scheduled for ultrasound, this is nothing urgent right now. After the ultrasound, if urachus will be confirmed, you should see urologist or general surgeon.
Just note that if any pain while urinating, frequent urinating, lower abdominal pain, fever will appear, you should see your doctor. have urine analysis and antibiotics if necessary.

Regards.