Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Foreskin started shrinking. Applied oil on it. Suggest some alternate oil or treatment to get cured?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
I am a man of 69 years of age. about 8-10 years back my foreskin started shrinking and the front opening became too small even the tip of finger was able to enter it. then I met a Homeopathic doctor and he gave me an oil. I had regularly applied that oil on the skin by putting a cotton dip in the oil around the foreskin, and within some days the skin came to its original shape.
Now again the foreskin had started shrinking and again the opening has became too small to the level that the tip of finger can not be entered in the opening easily. The Homeopathic doctor is not available hence I am unable to do anything. Please advise me if there is any oil or cream or any other treatment that can loosen and expand the foreskin. Kindly help me.
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 25 minutes later
Dear Sir,
I am strongly of the opinion that that you should try and avoid any creams or ointments whose effect is only temporary, and instead should try and XXXXXXX a urologist or a general surgeon as early as possible. The condition you have is called 'phimosis' and while it is not an emergency, the longer the skin continues to remain non-retractile over the glans, the worse will be the collection of impurities beneath the skin, and sometimes they cause severe inflammation called ' balanoposthitis', especially in the diabetics, and therefore I suggest that you have the prepuce surgically removed by a very minor operation known as circumcision following which you will have good relief. you will be required to stop the medication 'Deplatt-CV' for about 5 days before the procedure if there is no contra-indication from the prescribing physician. This will reduce the chances of bleeding in the post-operative period.
Hope I have been of help. Some times our wish to avoid surgery is so much that we tend to ignore the actual treatment, and while I do understand your anxiety and the wish to use a lotion or a cream, I feel that it would be inappropriate, however much it might have helped earlier.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Foreskin started shrinking. Applied oil on it. Suggest some alternate oil or treatment to get cured? 1 hour later
I do not want to go for any surgery. as such about 8-10 years ago a doctor had given me an oil which I have been applying on the skin by putting a cotton, dipped in the oil, around the foreskin. By using that oil, the skin had been softened and expanded to its original shape. Now I desire that you also prescribe/provide me the similar medicine or oil just to soften to enable me to loosen and expand it.

I have tried to stretch the skin without softening it without some specific oil or medicine, but it gets cracked & pains badly; and when it is healed in 8-10 days, it is again shrunk. Hence i request you to please advise me some medicine or medicated oil to enable me to expand the foreskin without any surgery. I am pretty sure to get my problem treated without surgery, as I have been able to treat about 8-10 years ago. that time my mistake was not preserving the oil which was provided by the doctor, and the doctor is not available now.

And also advise me some medicine or ointment/oil/cream etc to treat the cracked skin so that during curing the wounds, the skin do not contract.

With best regards,
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 28 minutes later
Dear Sir,
You can try using an ointment containing Bacitracin which could be of help in treating underlying infection.
Also a suitable emollient solution containing aloe or moisturex might be used if you really desire to avoid surgery.
You have not mentioned that you are not a diabetic, and I am assuming that you are not, but it would be a good idea to check up fasting and post -prandial blood sugar levels if you have a cracked prepuce, i.e foreskin.
Best wishes and regards, and I really would be interested to know how you respond to treatment, so please do let me know even if you have no trouble or have any further doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Foreskin started shrinking. Applied oil on it. Suggest some alternate oil or treatment to get cured? 28 minutes later
Respected Doctor,
Please note that I am not diabetic. I am periodically checking the Fasting and PP and also yearly whole body check at Appolo Hospital.
Please prescribe the following medicines/oils/ointments and also inform me if I have to put the penis or front part (Foreskin) in hot or warm water before stretching the foreskin for expanding it:
1. An oil or ointment for softening the skin to stretch, may be Olive oil or some medicated oil so that when stretched the skin do not tear. You may inform brand names of some medicated oils suitable for the purpose.
2. An ointment to help treating or healing the cracked or stretch-torn edges of the foreskin.
Thanking you,
with best wishes, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 54 minutes later
Dear Sir,
I am glad to know that you have been getting yearly checkups. Once we know that you are not a diabetic, things become easier.
I would prefer to not name brands here in this forum, but as I said earlier, you can try ointments containing fucidic acid or mupirocin, which are broad-spectrum, or a combination of neomycin-steroid which should take care of most conditions causing your present problem.
Also, a cream like moisturex might help in making the foreskin relatively more supple.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Foreskin started shrinking. Applied oil on it. Suggest some alternate oil or treatment to get cured? 27 minutes later
Respected Doctor,
I am thankful and appreciate your efforts and concern. As you prefer not to name the brand on the forum, I would request you to kindly provide me the brand names on my personal e-mail: YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY or by SMS on my Mobile +0000 or by any other way convenient to you for facilitating me to get the same from any chemist shop.
Thanking you and expecting your favorable response,
With best regards, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 9 hours later
Dear Sir,
As I mentioned earlier, the terms and conditions of the website that you are accessing prevent us from naming any specific medication, or diagnosing a condition, as understandably this is a forum for guidance rather than one replacing a doctor-patient relationship where a more specific diagnosis can be made, or a prescription can be advised. It also prevents me from contacting you or from you contacting me outside the forum - it is essentially an ethical contract and I would prefer to maintain it that way.
As you have said earlier, your condition should not be a serious one in which case the advice I have given earlier should be adequate in procuring medicines through a reasonably good chemist shop without much trouble.
As I have said earlier, please do let me know how you have responded to treatment.
Regards and best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor