Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Foreskin irritated, itching, red skin, swollen, no pain while urinating. Is there anything to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
I have the foreskin of my penis very much irritated.

I am not circumzided but I never had problems before. however, in the past months, the skin has become more tight and it became more difficult to roll it back. occasionally i have some itching and the skin become red, but it goes after a couple of days.

This time, however I was worried because the skin was not pulling back and I forced it and stayed all day long with the skin pulled back. at night it was very swollen and I managed to pull it forward. but it is very itching, swollen with some white dots and I cannot pull the skin back because it hurts.

I dont feel pain when I urinate, however, it burns the skin. I am using hydrogen peroxide to clean up the area every time I urinate. I read that LOTRIMIN AF could help. but not sure what to do.

I am on antibiotics for a sore throat, is there anything to do?

I also have red spots in my groin that started a couple of months ago. not sure if it is related.

I am trying to schedule a consult but it will take a couple of weeks. so I was wondering what would you recommend.


Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

You have tight foreskin and that is leading to recurrent balanitis (the reddish patches and itchiness). The treatment for balanitis is antibiotic cream local application.

However, the very idea to pull the foreskin and leave it here is pretty bad. It can lead to paraphimosis and even gangrene of the same. Don't practice it again.

You need to slowly pull the skin back and then apply local steroid cream twice daily for at least 2 weeks. The steroids are known to thin out the skin and thus make it lax. However, if the trial with steroid cream fails then you may to undergo circumcision.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Foreskin irritated, itching, red skin, swollen, no pain while urinating. Is there anything to do? 1 hour later
how can I buy antibiotic cream for local application ?do i need a prescription?
can i use LOTRIMIN in the meantime or it doesnt work?
I read CORTAID is a kind of steroid cream over the counter in US. does that work?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting.
An antibiotic cream would not need a prescription in all cases. The main purpose of the antibiotic cream is to provide lubrication and ensure that there is no residual infection. So, you can also use Lotrimin for the first 5 days and then shift to Cortaid twice daily.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my query if you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor