Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Fordyce bumps become red and irritated. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Hey, Noticed one of those Fordyce bumps become red and irritated kind of looks like a pimple aha..
was wondering how to cure/speed up the "go away" process

and if i MUST wait for it to leave on its own i am assuming sex is likely off the table?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Sometimes, Fordyce spots can become inflamed or infected. I would suggest the following measures for your problem:

- Wash the affected area (with the foreskin fully retracted) two to three times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist) or diluted antispetic solution (e.g. povidone-iodine solution).

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-bacterial ointment twice a day over the affected area.

- Keep the genital and groin area clean, sweat-free and dry.

- Do not pop or squeeze the 'pimple' as it can cause scarring.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear.

- Like you have mentioned, it is better to avoid sex for a few days, since it can aggravate the inflamation / infection.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor