Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Forcefully admitted to mental hospital and injected sedatives. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1853 Questions
one of my close friend was forced in to a mental hospital by his mother, even his mobile phone was taken away and was not let to contact any one out side. He had some problem with his mother and used to fight with her, never caused any physical damage to her. We never had any problem with him, its hard to believe that he was admitted in a mental hospital . He is working in a MNC with a good pay check and even he worked a day before he was admitted. He was released after 15 days. He doesnt remember what happened in those 15 days. He was forcefully taken to hospital when helper boys forcefully injected him sedatives. My problem is that he is very sad and looks very depressed after that episode and also thinks that he might be taken again to hospital forcefully, that what hes says that his mother keeps saying that to him. And also we feel that injustice has happened to him. how can he get justice to what has happened him. Now he is not on any medication and not in contact with his mother.
This happened in India and law here, as whatever i red on internet, does allow with the permission of majestrate for force full admission to mental hospital. But as he says he was force fully taken to hospital where was not even given a chance to talk to any doctor or any one over there, but just bunch of helper guys and nurse held him and injected sedatives, he doesnt know what happened after that.

Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Usually admission is needed in psychotic illness. In psychosis patient is not able to identify his symptoms and report them completely well. Person may behave normally at work place at start of problem. Due to that, family members and psychiatrist are able to identify symptoms more efficiently.

In psychosis patient can be admitted without his will but he should be examined by psychiatrist before admission. Hope, you are 100% sure about all information you have.

It is unusual that he is not on medication. He may not be taking it as per advise, so have a check for that as it may be XXXXXXX As, you are his friend then coordinate with his family and inform them about that.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Forcefully admitted to mental hospital and injected sedatives. What should be done? 16 minutes later
He is been close friend to us since college days its been really hard to believe that he was admitted to a mental hospital as we dont see any unusual thing with him. Anyways thanks for the information. And also would like to know if there is any good way to talk to him in to seeing a psychiatrist just to see that he is fine and doesn't have nay problem.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, that is good decision to XXXXXXX psychiatrist. If, he do not have any problem, then he would not have any issue to XXXXXXX psychiatrist.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wishing him good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor