For the last two years I've been experiencing the pain

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the last two years I've been experiencing the pain and tingling in my throat and neck area. I also have difficulty singing. I feel tightness in my throat. I feel as if my breath is stuck in my chest and it is hard to get it out; when strenuous breathing takes place my vocal cords get tighter and I sing off the pitch.

I saw my doctor. He recommended Otolaryngologist who did endoscopy of my throat. Did not find anything wrong; just some redness due to GERD. Adjusting my diet, etc.
I was on Nexium; no longer taking this medication.
I also did endoscopy of my stomach; found nothing serious.

I had voice therapy that did not help.

What other tests should I do to find out what is causing these symptoms described above?
What could this be?

Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have you been examined for asthma?

Detailed Answer:
Hi Frbratso,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. At the same time I am glad to read that nothing malignant is at play. Based on your description, I suggest you get examined for asthma, i.e. by testing your lung function before and after administration of bronchodilators or bronchoconstrictors.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj