For how long can Sinarest AF drops used?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: For how many days in a row can I give sinarest AF drops? My child is one yr old and has had a runny nose for almost two weeks. I have been giving these drops since the beginning
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinarest can be continued on and on

Detailed Answer:
Sinarest contains acetaminophen which is a pain reliever and fever reducer. Additionally it contains chlorpheniramine and pseudoephedrine which help in reducing cough and runny nose. Although Sinarest can be given to your child whenever your child catches cold and you can continue giving it, I would not suggest that. Give acetaminophen or crocin drops only if the child has fever and not indiscriminately. When the child gets runny nose some antiallergic syrup like ascoril for a few days. That should be enough. Giving steam inhalation would also be helpful. Just sit with the child on your lap and place a source of steam before you. Water vapour will be in the air and the child will automatically breathe it in for relief.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Thanks for your answer, you suggested anti allergy medicine. Can I give allegra syrup? Why has the runny nose lasted so long? Sinarest is not working?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allegra better alternative

Detailed Answer:
Allegra would work better in this case and can safely be given. It is a prescription medication.
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
For how many days can I give allegra? I normally give 0.5 ml once a day as he is 1 yr old. Is this correct?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose inappropriate

Detailed Answer:
Allegra is available as syrup of 30mg/5ml. It needs to be given 2.5 ml once daily for 3-5 days for a child of this age.