For about a year, I have had an issue with

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For about a year, I have had an issue with mucus in my throat, worst at night when I lie down. It is clear. I have no nasal congestion. When I am able to cough it up, It seems to "flow" back in again. Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, I have mucus in my throat. It is "sticky" and difficult to get out.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy of mucosal membrane is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

At this point when you have visited different doctors without a solution I would recommend that you for a biopsy of the mucosal linning of the throat.
I suspect you may be suffering from pemphigus. It is an autoimmune disorder of mucosal membrane and in your case of mucosal membranes of throat where blisters are formed and also over production of sticky mucus.
Doing a biopsy of mucosal linning of throat is the only way to check the reasons which is causing all this mucous production.
If it results to be pemphigus probably corticosteroid and immunosuppressive drugs may be needed.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 days later
Is this biopsy just a swab of the throat? The ENT doctor did exam my throat and did not see anything. Also, this problem is exacerbated when I lie down. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is not just a swap.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and thank you for asking again.

Biopsy is not just a swap of throat. Biopsy is a small cut of mucosal lining.

You can go to another ENT and explain better and you can also show her our conversation to help her.

Let me know if I can assist with.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj