For a few weeks after I swallow, I have a

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For a few weeks after I swallow, I have a feeling that the food hasn’t gone down all the way – like a little bit is stuck. Once I start doing other things during the day, I don’t notice it though and I feel fine. I’m not sure if the food really is getting stuck or maybe my throat is inflamed and the channel or esophagus is a little narrow? The swallowing seems to go OK – it’s just briefly afterward I think some of the food might be stuck. I don’t have heartburn or any digestive symptoms. Part of me thinks this is all just anxiety – I’m a really anxious person.
Just some context: A few months ago, I felt a very tiny growth in my neck. I had an ultrasound done and it said everything was normal. The growth is only 0.7 cm even though I can feel it. An ENT felt it, read the ultrasound report, and did a general exam (including using a tube that went through my nose). That was January 21st. And he said everything was normal.
I’ve done a lot of reading about throat cancer and cancer overall though and I know difficulty swallowing can be a first sign. But I felt fine until late February – when I started having this feeling that the food wasn’t completely going down. I’m wondering if this is just anxiety, or if food is actually stuck, or if it’s a sign of cancer.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laryngoharyngeal reflux/ Anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the query thoroughly and understood your problem. I am of the opinion that you could be having either Laryngopharyngeal reflux or anxiety.

Laryngopharyngeal reflux is secondary to silent reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat causing swelling in the mucosa of the latter. The swelling thus causes discomfort in the throat while swallowing.

In the conditions of anxiety the involuntary muscles of the neck go in for spasm during stress or attacks of anxiety thus causing discomfort in the neck and the throat.

In either of the cases, the treatment is very simple. The treatment constitutes proton pump inhibitors with a prokinetic for a few weeks along with life style modifications. Anxiety can be reduced with meditation/relaxation exercises.

I doubt any symptoms of cancer in your case.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj