For a few weeks after I swallow, I have a
Just some context: A few months ago, I felt a very tiny growth in my neck. I had an ultrasound done and it said everything was normal. The growth is only 0.7 cm even though I can feel it. An ENT felt it, read the ultrasound report, and did a general exam (including using a tube that went through my nose). That was January 21st. And he said everything was normal.
I’ve done a lot of reading about throat cancer and cancer overall though and I know difficulty swallowing can be a first sign. But I felt fine until late February – when I started having this feeling that the food wasn’t completely going down. I’m wondering if this is just anxiety, or if food is actually stuck, or if it’s a sign of cancer.
Laryngoharyngeal reflux/ Anxiety
Thanks for posting the query
I have gone through the query thoroughly and understood your problem. I am of the opinion that you could be having either Laryngopharyngeal reflux or anxiety.
Laryngopharyngeal reflux is secondary to silent reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat causing swelling in the mucosa of the latter. The swelling thus causes discomfort in the throat while swallowing.
In the conditions of anxiety the involuntary muscles of the neck go in for spasm during stress or attacks of anxiety thus causing discomfort in the neck and the throat.
In either of the cases, the treatment is very simple. The treatment constitutes proton pump inhibitors with a prokinetic for a few weeks along with life style modifications. Anxiety can be reduced with meditation/relaxation exercises.
I doubt any symptoms of cancer in your case.
Hope this answers your query. I will be available for the follow up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is Perilymphatic fistula?
- Suggest treatment for severe hay fever
- What do I hear an echo after a head injury?
- How to use hearing aids to help with tinnitus?
- What causes tingling sensation in ear when suffering from eustachian...
- Is ear surgery for collapsed inverted ear drum safe to have with high BP?
- Suggest treatment for sore throat, swollen glands and fever
- What causes buzzing sensation in head?
- What causes a red patch in the middle at the back of tongue?
- Suggest treatment for skin cancer