Following a fasting glucose test that showed I could be

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019 in Diabetes
Question: Following a fasting glucose test that showed I could be pre-diabetic, I had a hemoglobin test Hba 1C today with a result of 5.5. Given my health profile, what would you recommend? I already take a lot of meds and am reluctant to add any more to my daily intake unless absolutely necessary.

Is exercise and healthier lifestyle (eating etc) sufficient while monitoring it? How often should I
have either the fasting or hba 1c test in future?

Thanks,

David
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The result is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I have gone through your query and understood your concern.

For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c level is between 4% and 5.6%.
The levels between 5.7% and 6.4% mean you have a higher chance of getting diabetes.

The diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus is confirmed if the HbA1C result is 6.5% or higher.

So,your result is within the normal range and means that you are not pre-diabetic.
You are obese,so i recommend a hypocaloric diet and continue with regular physical activities.

You may repeat the HbA1C test after 1 year, or immediatelly if you have symptoms like Urinating often, Feeling very thirsty, Feeling very hungry or extreme fatigue( Common symptoms of diabetes )

Anyway,for the moment,you have nothing to worry about because your HbA1C test result is normal.

Let me know if i can assist you further.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng