Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Folliculitis in pubic area, itchy, red boil, infection. Staph infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
Boils? Staph vs HS? :

I recently had some folliculitis secondary to shaving my pubic area. The area was itchy and red and later a boil formed in the area, the first one I've ever had. Warm compresses and some draw out salve had the boil virtually gone in a few days. While draining, it was hard to keep the area covered because of the hair ( that I was now scared to shave). The small ingrown looking hairs around the boil looked a little worse once the boil had drained. My derm said it was secondary infection and gave me a zpack and bactroban ointment and within 5 days the are was almost completely healed. I now, just had another boil pop up in the surrounding area. Could it still be from the staph infection? I've found websites detailing HS and am now really anxious that it could be that! What are your thoughts? I have an upcoming appt with my derm, but I'll have to wait a few wks.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I agree with your doctor. It does sound like a simple Folliculitis.

It is common to have one or two recurrences after an initial episode.

Herpes mostly occurs on the penis (glans and prepuce). Presence of ingrown hair further suggests toward folliculitis (or pseudofolliculitis).

However, one can be 100% sure only after looking at the lesions. Seeing a dermatologist personally is a good idea.

You may also attach a picture of the lesion on the space provided on the right hand side of the query page. That will help me in suggesting you better.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my query in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor