Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Follicular cyst,endometriotic cyst,pelvic scan,endometriosis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12819 Questions
Hi, I am 25 yrs of age and unmarried. My height is 5' 3". I weigh 51 kgs. I have recently been diagnosed with a follicular cyst measuring 26 X 17 mm and an endometriotic cyst measuring 28 X 24 mm - both in the left ovary. But I don't have any severe symptoms. I am healthy and have regular and normal periods. But the symptom that I had was spotting in between 2 periods for the last 4 - 5 months and that's the reason my doctor asked me to get a pelvic scan done. The doctor, right now has not prescribed any medicine, has asked me to wait for 1 or 2 months before she could decide whether any treatment is required at all. But i am still worried because i want to get married and have babies. But will this be a problem? Also i have read that with endometriosis, intercourse causes a lot of pain and also intercourse causes bleeding. In my case will i have all these problems. Is the size of the cyst indicative of the stage / severity of endometriosis? My doctor has said that she will observe for 1 or 2 more months and then start giving me contraceptive pills if required. Can problems like pain during intercourse and bleeding after intercourse and problems with getting pregnant because of endometriosis be controlled by contraceptive pills?
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to me.
A follicular cyst of 26MM x 17MM is absolutely normal. In every cycle ovulation occurs- release of egg takes place from a follicle and in every cycle this follicle is formed which is necessary for conceiving.
Regarding the endometriotic cyst, it is difficult to diagnose only on a single ultrasound examination that the cyst in the ovary is endometriotic in nature.
Having spotting in between two periods is not confirmatory for endometriosis. Such mild spotting can occur due to ovulation also.
This can be a functional ovarian cyst also which usually subsides without any treatment in a month or two.
Oral pills only reduce the symptoms of endometriosis but do not cure it.
The best thing for you now is to wait for 2-3 months and then get a repeat scan done immediately after your period finishes to see the presence of any residual cysts.
Having endometriotic cyst does not mean that you are now infertile. You can still have normal babies and can conceive normally.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Follicular cyst,endometriotic cyst,pelvic scan,endometriosis 1 hour later
Dear Dr,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The further questions that I have are :

1. Is it true that, though, contraceptive pills do not cure endometriosis, they prevent further / more endometriotic cysts from being formed and not just control the symptoms?

2. My doctor told me that since I may have endometriosis, its best not to postpone pregnancy for too long. What age is too late for me to conceive normally. Is 28 - 29 also too late?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes upto some extent they do prevent more endometriotic cysts from forming but there is no definite evidence for that.

In endometriosis you never know when your ovaries will start malfunctioning and cause problem in ovulation. So there is no age limit. After the diagnosis it is always advised that the earlier you conceive the better it is. It is rightly advised to go for early pregnancy.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor