Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Fluttering, pulsing sensation behind sternum. No medical history and in good health. Causes for palpitations?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12672 Questions
I have a fluttering or pulsing sensation behind what feels like the upper portion of my sternum, it is painless just worried about it. Thanks for any help. I'm 25 in great shape.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms you described is most likely due to palpitation caused by anxiety.
Other possible causes are premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) or Gastro esophageal reflux disorder (GERD).
You need to have a 24-hour Holter monitor to identify any such occasional rhythm disturbances.
For GERD, taking antacids like Tums or proton pump inhibitors will help.
Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking. Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor