Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Floaters in right eye with blurring of vision. Eye are tired and strained. Anything serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I have sudden floaters in my right eye, coupled with about 10% blur in the same eye .. Middle of visual field. When looking at a white wall, there is a XXXXXXX pattern ..something like looking thru a fresnel lens. Im 54 yr old wht male, nonsmoker, nondrinker in good health. This same eye was weeping last week like it was irritated. Im concerned i may have a broken blood vessel inside the eye, or have an infection. intraocular pressures were fine 45 days ago when I had my annual eye exam. No straining, or lifting to cause a problem. No eye pain or light sensitivity...eye just feels tired and strained. Some slight goopiness and weeping outside, but no pus or eye matter ...just oily tear fluid. im on bus travel and am flying home tomorrow...trying to determine if i need to make an emergency visit to eye doctor or normal week.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...Sudden emergence of floaters along with blurring of vision should not be ignored.
Detailed answer...
Thanks for the query.
These floaters are actually tiny clumps of cells in the vitreous fluid which is a jelly like structure present in the back chamber of the eye.
Since this is recent occurrence,it requires evaluation by a opthalmologist.
These floaters generally occur due to shrinking of vitreous gel which may sometime cause retinal detachment.
These floaters are generally harmless and are due to shrinkage or thickening of vitreous gel and may go of their own gradually but it requires a proper examination so as to look for any early sign of retinal detachment.
Since these floaters have emerged suddenly with blurring  in vision,you must make an emergency visit to the opthalmologist for proper evaluation.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor