Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Fish bone is stuck in throat. Having severe pain around chest area. CT scan and endoscopy required?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
a fishbone is stuck in my wife's throat for last 3 days. she is complaining about severe pain around chest area, back. having slight fever. not been able to eat anything except liquid. nothing was found in the xray. doctors are talking about doing ct scan nd endoscopy? what is be done ? does endoscopy require admission in the hospital ? is ct scan needed ? can it not be treated with medicines ?
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.
Brief have to locate the presence of fish bone and then remove it.
Detailed answer...
I can understand the agony and anxiety being faced by you and your wife.
Since your wife is not having any violent coughing,it is quite clear that the piece of none is not in the windpipe or lungs.
It has to be somewhere in epiglottis or just above food pipe or in food pipe.
A CT scan shall be able to pinpoint the exact location of piece of fish bone and once the location is identified,it can be removed by an endoscope.
For endoscopy procedure,you require to be there in the hospital but not exactly an admission.It can be done as a day care procedure.
The piece of fish bone seems to be embedded in the musculature and has to be removed and can not be treated by taking any medicine.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor