Finger got stuck to a needle used for diabetic dog insulin. Any complications?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: my wife stuck her finger with a needle that was used to give our diabetic dog insulin
Is there anything to worry about
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given that there are no significant diseases that travel between dog and human, as far as infectious concerns like blood-borne diseases that can transmit, there is no concern.

When there is a break in the skin, though, there is always the possibility of a skin infection, often involving the bacteria already on our skin.

The best thing she can do is thoroughly wash the area, apply some neosporin, and put a band-aid over the site. If any redness starts developing that spreads out from the puncture site, then she will need to be seen.

I hope this helps!