Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, migraine, fatigue, knee rash

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
I am 28 female I weigh 230 lbs and am 5 7 . I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, miagraines, I suffer from severe fatigue also I have had 3 kidney surgeries since birth. My question is I have a round rash on my inner knee and on my butt, it looks like a bruise until it flares up when they do they always do it at the same time and it get larger and kinda wells up turning red, it is very painful to touch and just a little itchy. What could this be? I have been to my dr numerous times but she has no idea and has only scraped it when the scrape came back negative I guess she just gave up. I have used hydrocortisone creams and aristacort cream nothing has worked. Please help me!!!
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

You have been diagnosed by two medically unexplained conditions, one of which is Fibromyalgia and Migraine. The causes of these conditions are unexplainable.

I have also not understood why did you undergo kidney surgeries. Is there any autoimmune conditions diagnosed like Lupus?

Tender skin with mild itch, referred to as allodynia, this is a type of sensitive skin can cause numerous problems, from redness and swelling, to bruising and scarring. This tender skin often prevents fibromyalgia sufferers from participating in daily life. It may be a direct result of a dysfunction in the brain’s central nervous system. Fibromyalgia prevents the brain from reading pain signals correctly, and this may cause the skin to feel sore or tender to the touch. The person's brain has slight inability to interpret pain signals.

Similarly there are certain other skin conditions that are associated with them which are unexplainable in terms of reasons. In such conditions the doctors generally analyse them to treat them symptomatically with various anti itch and topical steroids. These conditions are not lifethreatening and can be treated.

My suggestion is XXXXXXX an expert dermatologist and get it checked first as they have immense experience dealing with them than a Primary physician. Your primary usually does a trial and error method. If your dermatologist can help with the name of condition and probably treat it further.

Hope you accept my persepective to analyze your problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor