Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Fibroids in uterus, CA 125. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
CA 125 :

I had an ultrasound the dr said I had a substance and fibroids on my uterus and the lining was thick well yeah it as thick I was ready to start my period doc said to gt a CA 125 test to se if im am a higher risk for getting cancer from what i have read ca125 is for people who have cancer or th doc is thinking they have cancer ca125 numbers can be higher if ur on ur period or have fibroids why would the dr order the test unless he is seeing something he is not telling me my question is do they do they do a CA125 blood test to see if you are at a higher risk of cancer
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I would like to know your age first. It appears that you are young, as you are still having your periods.

Fibroids in uterus are quite common and mostly do not require treatment, unless they are bothersome in some way, which is not the case in you.

A thick lining (I would like to know how much-in mm) in a premenopausal woman with no other symptoms (excessive or irregular bleeding) is also probably of no significance. Even if the doctor feels anything suspicious, then he/she should do an endometrial sampling rather than order a CA 125.

CA 125 is very non-specific. It is elevated in many causes other than cancer (which includes endometriosis-a condition where menstruating tissue is present at an abnormal location). In addition, in early cancer it will be normal.

If you can share with me your detailed clinical condition and the exact ultrasound report, then I will be able to guide you better.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor