Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Ffractured a rib. Took calcium pills and percoset for pain. Time to heal?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
I apparently fractured a rib last year and I have had four episodes of extreme pain from this in the last year. How long does it take to heal? I'm 66 years old and I take calci8um pills. They give me percoset when I have these episodes; but I just want this to heal.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
Normally a fracture heals up in 6 weeks, but it depends on your age and general well being.
Since you have co morbidities like diabetes, hypertension , coronary disease, it is possible that the fracture might have healed inappropriately or in incorrect alignment, leading to persistent pain even now.
Diabetes itself can reduce your pain threshold, making your nerves more sensitive.
Along with calcium, take vitamin D also to supplement bone strength.
I would advise consulting an orthopedic surgeon who would evaluate whether the fracture has healed properly.
Alongside, consult your physician also who would evalute the recent status of your coronary disease, as cardiac disease can sometimes cause referred pain in the rib area.

Generally speaking, moderate regular exercise, a healthy diet and positive thinking can work wonders.
You need to try out yoga / gentle stretching / relaxational techniques also.

Take care. Be well.
Feel free to discuss further anytime you want.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor