Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Fever, restricted urine flow, burning while urination, foul odour. What can be the cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Male, fever of 100.2, urine flow restricted, burns when urinating and the urine has a foul odor to it. The fever last night came with chills.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
You are having classical symptoms of a urination, fever with chills and foul smelling urine.
The next best step would be to consult a doctor and get a urine routine and culture test done.
The urine routine may confirm the presence of infection and whether there is involvement of upper urinary tract or kidneys.The culture will confirm the exact causative organism and the appropriate antibiotic most suitable for it's eradication.
Alternatively, sometimes the doctor may start antibiotics like fluroquinolones or cotrimoxazole or penicillin empirically and await the culture report for further management .
Apart from antibiotics, the treatment would include supportive management with antipyretics for fever , urinary anaesthetics or antispasmodics for burning & painful micturition & plenty of water intake for faster recovery .
Do practice usual genital hygiene and increase your water intake and frequency of urination for better relief.
If persistent symptoms are observed then an ultrasound abdomen or renal imaging might be advised for further investigation of complications like bladder or kidney involvement.
As of now the situation is not worrisome and likely to resolve within a weekor two with appropriate treatment.The earlier the treatment, better would be the outcome.
Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor