Fever, nausea, stomach cramps, bleeding tongue. Suggest treatment and cause?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in General Health
Question: I have been running a fever of 99 - 100 for the past 4 days with nasiated and cramping stomach. Thefirst 2 days was unable to keep food down. Now able to keep liquids, protein drinks down. Now also have very enlarged tastebuds in the back and a very red throat. Always brush my tongue w/ teath and today my tongue bleeds.... What is gvong on. First thought it was just a stomach bug.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from a bad pharyngitis. Since most pharyngitis cases are of viral eitiology I suggest you seek symptomatic treatment as follows.

1. Gargle with warm salt and water 4 times a day. A better solution would be a Betadine gargle but it doesnt taste that good.
2. Paracetamol (acetaminophen) will help bring down fever, please use it only when you do have a documented fever of above 99.6.
3. Anti histamines like levocetrizine will help you with the symptoms.
4. Follow a soft bland diet until you recover, avoid milk and milk products and cold items.
5. Plenty of fluids should help

Enlarged taste buds could be a part of the infection but usually the taste buds at the posterior aspect of the tongue is slightly bigger than the anterior aspect. If the tongue bleed continues or it doesn't stop bleeding please see a doctor immediately.

I hope I was of help, I will be happy to get back to you if you have further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery