Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Fever, frequent urination, blood in urine. Undergoing treatment. Persisting fever. What should be done?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
My husband became ill with fever and chills early Saturday morning, was having problems with frequent urination and some blood in the urine (no pain on urination or flank pain). Took him to the doctor Saturday morning, they are culturing the urine and put him on antibiotics. He is still running a significant fever (101.6). How long should I wait before taking him back to the doctor?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
H and welcome to XXXXXXX WIsh you good health.
These are typical signs of urinary infection and this is usually easily treated by antibiotics. Beside antibiotics he should take some antipyretic such as paracetamol, aspirine or ibuprofen. It usually takes 2-3 days till antibiotic starts to work but fever sometimes isnt correlating with seriousness of infection.

This is significant fever, but not something to be worried about. If fever reaches more than 103 it can be sign of bacteremia and you should visit docor then for intravenous antibiotic teratment. You didnt mention which exactly antibiotic did he get, but usually wide spectre antibiotics are used so it should work. Of course, there is possibility that bacteria is resistant, but you will know this when you see culturing results and then antibiotic can be switched. ALso, if these uroinfections recurs, I suggest to do prostate and kidney ultrasound as there can be some disorders which facilitate these infections.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor