Fever for four days

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Infections
Question: Mom has Fever for last 4 days
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Hi, XXXXXXX
Thanks a lot for posting query to XXXXXXX

Your mother has fever for last 4 days.
Fever is symptom of many diseases and I would like to know this fever is with chills or without chills and is it mild or high grade that is >102 degree F.
A)     Symptoms like cough and cold or pain in Throat.
B)     Urinary burning or frequency
C)     Any pain in abdomen or loose motion.
Once I know proper history of symptoms which will give clue to cause of fever?
Then a physical examination is required, then one can plan any investigation is to be done or not.
In the mean time if fever is high a paracetamol may be used if she is needs it. Even tepid sponging can be used.
Kindly give details, I will be happy to answer.

Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Hello sir,
I have uploaded reports for CBC and Widal.
I had a chat with Dr. Mazumdar. He suggested CBC and Urine test.
Urine test report will only be available on Monday.
Please advice if there is any concern in the two attached reports.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 43 minutes later
I have seen her report of CBC it with in normal limits,Platelet count is Normal.
How ever widal test in first few days of fever has no significance as one need a Blood culture to confirm Typhoid fever(Enteric Fever)
Urine R&M report is awaited
You may get her examined by a Physician and She may be given appropriate antibiotics covering Enteric fever and UTI.
Another possibility is Viral fever in this season?
In the mean time give her safe boiled (Cooled) water and light diet.
Please infom Urine report when it is available.
I hope I have answered your query, still if you any query, I will be more than happy to answer that
Wish her speedy recovery